What Is a Home Security System?
Home security systems are networks of integrated electronic devices working together with a central control panel to protect against burglars and other home intruders.
A typical home security system includes the following:
- A control panel which is the primary controller of a home’s security system
- Arm/disarm keypad
- Door and window sensors
- Motion detectors
- Glass break detectors
- A high decibel siren
- A yard sign and window stickers
How Does a Security System Work?
Home security systems work on the concept of securing perimeter entry points into your home with sensors that communicate with a control panel that is installed in a convenient location in your home.
- Control Panel — The control panel is the computer that arms and disarms the security system, communicates with each installed component, sounds the alarm when a security zone is breached, and communicates with Alarm Solutions’ monitoring station. The system will feature a keypad that will allow you to arm and disarm the system with a 4 digit code.
- Door and Window Sensors — Door and window sensors are comprised of two parts installed adjacent to each other. One part of the device is installed on the door or window and the other on the door frame or the window sill. When a door or window is closed, the two parts of the sensor are joined together, creating a security circuit.When the security system is armed at the keypad, these sensors communicate with it by reporting that the point of entry is secure. Should a monitored door or window be opened, the security circuit is broken and the control panel interprets this as a breach of a secured zone. A high decibel alarm is sounded, and Alarm Solutions is automatically notified.
- Motion Detectors — These security components protect a given space by creating an invisible zone that cannot be breached without sounding the system.
With Alarm Solutions’ window stickers and yard sign, you are telling burglars your home is professionally protected and not a wise choice for an attempted burglary.